Allstate Insurance Company recently released its Best Driver Report, an annual ranking that identifies the 200 largest U.S. cities and their surrounding areas for the best drivers. Along with five other cities in Ohio ranked, Akron was included as the 35th safest city for driving.
Other cities from Ohio on the list included Cleveland, Toledo, Dayton, Cincinnati and Columbus. However, Akron was the highest, and safest, for the Ohio-based cities. No matter how high a city ranks on the report, it’s crucial for drivers to continue safe traveling practices, especially in the fall and winter.
Safety tips for all drivers
Luckily, there are tips that all drivers can practice to keep their roads safe no matter what the city. For drivers in Akron, they can:
- Drive defensively – always be aware of the drivers around you and expect the unexpected
- Stay focus – do not let distractions such as smartphones or energetic children take away your attention
- Prepare before you drive – make sure to check and adjust your mirrors before a trip. You can also plan your trip for phone calls, bathroom breaks or stops for food.
- Drive like your grandma is in the car – it may sound like an old cliché, but drivers who drive alone often engage in the more risky behavior. Make sure to use caution whenever you drive.
- Know the risks for the season – different times of year often bring new hazards to the road. For the fall time, it’s important to watch for deer and other animals at night or in rural areas.
Drivers who practice safety tips will be less likely to experience a car accident. However, accidents happen, and people should know what to do in case of a crash. A car crash may also involve medical treatment for any injuries, so you may be able to seek compensation afterward.